Baba Mail – Whiskey is one of the most popular alcoholic beverages in the world, thanks to its distinct flavors and the fact that it’s the least likely to give you a hangover. Add to that the fact that whiskey also holds several medicinal properties, and you have an obvious success story.
Please remember that whiskey is alcoholic, so drink it responsibly and as always – in moderation.
The first confirmed accounts of whiskey distillation are from the early 15th century, when the Irish and Scottish distilled it, calling it “Aqua Vitae” (Water of Life / Lively Water), for medicinal properties.
During the American Revolution, it was used as currency and George Washington even owned a distillery in Mount Vernon. In the Prohibition era (1920-1933), whiskey was the only alcohol permitted for consumption with a doctor’s prescription.
The Health Benefits of Whiskey
1. Memory Boost: whiskey contains antioxidants that help improve the health of the brain, additionally, alcohol boosts blood circulation, both of which contribute to your memory. In addition, the Ethanol in whiskey helps your neurons function properly, which also aids with memory.
2. Stress Relief: In moderation, whiskey can reduce stress and calm the nerves. The combination of slowing down brain activity and increased circulation, which helps provide the body with oxygenated blood, are essential for achieving calmness.
3. Fight Weight Gain: Compared to its counterparts, whiskey is a low-calorie alcohol, free of fat and cholesterol. If you’re on a diet but still want a drink – it’s your best choice.
4. Reduce the Risk of a Stroke: whiskey prevents cholesterol from accumulating in the cardiovascular system and can help remove excess cholesterol from the body. It also relaxes the walls of the arteries, reducing the risk of obstruction. All of these factors help reduce the risk of stroke considerably.
5. Reduce the Risk of Cancer: whiskey contains an antioxidant called ‘ellagic acid’, an acid that stops DNA from coming in contact with cancer-causing compounds, such as nitrosamines and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.. It is also said to help protect the body from damage during chemotherapy.
6. Helps with Digestion: For centuries, whiskey was considered a digestive aid, drunk after a heavy meal. whiskey’s composition and high alcohol percentage also makes it an effective appetite suppressant.
7. Live Longer: The antioxidants in whiskey help fight free radicals – the number one cause of aging, as well as prevent various diseases. This double-whammy helps your body live a longer, healthier life.
8. Diabetic-Friendly: Containing zero carbs, it won’t affect blood sugar levels, making it the number one choice for diabetics.
9. Improves Your Heart’s Health: Drinking whiskey actually helps your heart stay healthy, similarly to red wine. It reduces the risk of blood clots, thus it can prevent strokes and heart attacks. The antioxidants in the whiskey also inhibits the oxidation of low density lipoprotein – a main factor in heart disease.
10. Improves brain health: A 2003 study found that, thanks to the antioxidant qualities of the ellagic acid, moderate consumption of whiskey reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia, as well as improve cognitive functions. Basically, one drink a day will keep the doctor away.
11. Prevents & Treats Cold and Flu: whiskey is known for its positive effects towards allergies and colds. It’s an effective cough syrup for people suffering from an itchy throat, and the alcohol helps kill bacteria in the throat. The best results are achieved by adding a little bit of whiskey to a cup of hot water and lemon.
SF Source Baba Mail April 2015